What follows is a brief synopsis of noteworthy metal concerts happening in the St. Louis area in the fall of 2013. This is not a comprehensive list, but merely a collection of shows that I think are awesome and worth going to.
9/11 – Harm’s Way/Dead in the Dirt/Homewrecker/Batallion/Perfect People – The Demo
- A vicious hardcore/grind lineup, highlighted by Atlanta’s Dead in the Dirt, self-described as “vegan, straight edge grindcore”.
9/15 – Thou/Fister/Cloud Rat/False – FUBAR
- Doom, gloom, and a little sludge. Notable due to a very rare live appearance from New Orleans underground sludge miscreants THOU, as well as the always-excellent local talent, Fister.
9/18 – Intronaut/Vattnet Viskar/The Gorge/White Fire – The Firebird
- Vattnet Viskar and Intronaut both released new albums in the past few months, and Intronaut just wrapped up a big tour with Meshuggah. Proggy, moshy goodness, preceded by the naturalistic, raw black metal of Vattnet Viskar.
9/20 – Andrew WK/The Scam/431 – FUBAR
- When it’s time to party, we will party hard.
9/25 – Centuries/Pray for Teeth/Strangers Now/Cathedral Fever/Dissention – FUBAR
- Hardcore done right, courtesy of Florida’s Centuries, who are touring in support of their latest release, “Taedium Vitae”, released via the incredible Southern Lord Recordings.
10/1 – Scorpion Child/Kadavar/Wilson/Gypsyhawk/Mothership – The Firebird
- Campy psych-prog-stoner rock, powered by vest-wearing Germans Kadavar, and California’s Gypsyhawk.
10/6 – Saint Vitus/Pallbearer/The Hookers/Fister – The Firebird
- Legendary American doom metal founders Saint Vitus, alongside Pallbearer, whose 2012 release, “Sorrow and Extinction” ranked among the best of the year. Additional support from local curmudgeons Fister. Do not miss this show, period.
11/4 – Black Tusk/Inter Arma – The Firebird
- Burly Southern Sludge/hardcore via Georgia partiers Black Tusk, touring in support of their recent EP “Tend No Wounds”, along with the prairie-tinged sludge-doom of Richmond’s Inter Arma, whose latest release “Sky Burial” is one of the best records of 2013. Another show that shouldn’t be missed.
11/13 – The Black Dahlia Murder/Skeletonwitch/Fallujah/Wolvhammer – The Firebird
- The headliners are the least impressive band on this tour. Which says a lot about the strength of the three supporting acts. Check out the furious blackened thrash of Cleveland stalwards Skeletonwitch (who have a new record out October 29th), the raging, frenetic death metal of newcomers Fallujah, and the violent, misanthropic, anti-human black metal of Wolvhammer. Yet another show that should not be passed over.
Big ups to The Firebird for stepping up their metal game, and booking some quality acts.