Classical new releases at KWUR, 9/2010 edition by George Y.
For this month’s recent classical CD arrivals at KWUR, the quotient of contemporary music is higher than usual, as most classical CDs tend to feature composers long departed. The first two listed of this month’s selections, however, buck that feature:
* Marc-André Hamelin (composer and pianist): 12 Études in all the minor keys; Little Nocturne; Selections from Con intimissimo sentimento; Theme and Variations (‘Cathy’s Variations’) (Hyperion CDA67789)
* Arvo Pärt: (a) Symphony No. 4 (“Los Angeles”) and (b) “Fragments from Kanon Pokajanen“, with (a) Los Angeles Philharmonic; Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor; and (b) Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir; Tõnu Kaljuste, conductor (ECM New Series 2160)
* Robert Schumann: Spanisches Liederspiel op. 74; Minnespiel, op. 101, Spanische Liebeslieder, op. 138; with Marlis Petersen (soprano), Anke Vondung (mezzo-soprano), Werner Güra (tenor), Konrad Jarnot (bass-baritone), Christoph Berner (piano) and Camillo Radicke (piano); (harmonia mundi HMC 902050)
* Lang Lang: Live in Vienna; music of Beethoven, Albéniz, Prokofiev and Chopin (Sony Classical 88697719012)
Plus, in anticipation of Christmas (what, already?), these recent vocal ensemble recordings:
* Anonymous 4: The Cherry Tree (14th & 15th Century English Christmas carols and early Americana) (harmonia mundi 807453)
* stile antico: Puer Natus Est, including Thomas Tallis’ Missa Puer natus est and selections by John Taverner, William Byrd, Robert White and John Sheppard (harmonia mundi HMU 807517)
As always, comments and feedback are welcome here or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also IM me or call the station (314-935-5987) during my Saturday show (normally 11 AM to 2 PM; subject to change and/or football). Thanks for reading.