Classical new releases at KWUR, 8/2010 edition by George Y.
More good (actually, much better than good) new classical CD releases have arrived at KWUR, from which I am happy to broadcast for your listening pleasure:
* The Songs of Johannes Brahms – 1, with mezzo-soprano Angelika Kirchschlager and pianist Graham Johnson (Hyperion CDJ33121), the newest “compleat” song series masterminded by Graham Johnson, Hyperion’s resident lieder scholar/pianist extraordinaire
* Britten: Songs and Proverbs of William Blake and other selections, with baritone Gerald Finley and pianist Julius Drake (Hyperion CDA 67778)
* The Romantic Piano Concerto – 51: piano concertos by Wilhelm Taubert and Jacob Rosenhain, with Howard Shelley as soloist and conductor of the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra (Hyperion CDA67765)
* Henri Dutilleux: “D’ombre et de silence”: music for solo piano and one selection for two pianos, with Robert Levin (all tracks) and Ya-Fei Chuang (second pianist in Figures de résonances (ECM New Series 2105)
* Thomas Larcher: Madhares: featuring Till Fellner (solo piano in Böse Zellen), Kim Kashkashian (solo viola in Still), Larcher (piano in Still), and the Munich Chamber Orchestra conducted by Dennis Russell Davies (Böse Zellen and Still), and the Quatour Diotima in Madhares (String Quartet No. 3) (ECM New Series 2111)
* Krysztof Penderecki: Violin Concerto No. 1 and Horn Concerto (Winterreise), with violinist Robert Kabara and horn soloist Radovan Vlatkovic, and the composer conducting the Sinfonietta Cracovia (Channel Classics CCS SA 30310)
* Ferdinand Ries: Piano Sonatas and Sonatinas – 3, with pianist Susan Kagan (Naxos 8.572204)
* Mi Alma Mexicana (My Mexican Soul): music of José Pablo Moncayo, Gustavo Campa, Ricardo Castro, Candelario Huízar, Manuel Ponce, Juventino Rosas, Arturo Márquez, Silvestre Revueltas, Carlos Chávez, Federico Ibarra, Eugenio Toussaint, Mario Lavista and Enrico Chapela, with Alondra de la Parra conducting the Philharmonic Orchestra of the Americas (Sony Classical 88697755552)
* El Nuevo Mundo: Folias Criollas: music from the era of Spain’s colonization of the Caribbean lands, with Monserrat Figueras, the Tembembe Ensamble Continuo, La Capella Reial de Catalunya and Hesperion XXI, led by Jordi Savall (Alia Vox AVSA 9876)
As always, comments and feedback are welcome. Please feel free to drop me a line at email@example.com, or you can IM me during my regular Saturday show (11 AM-2 PM). Thanks for reading.